Set up the phone using the sipX Configuration Server
Once the phone is able to find its boot server at startup, all remaining configuration is done automatically and remotely using the sipX configuration server and Web UI. The tasks required to complete the installation are as follows:
- Create at least one user who will be using the phone
- Create the phone as a device known to sipX
- Assign one or several users to the phone (create lines)
- Generate the profile for the phone and reboot the phone
Note: If the phone is unable to find its boot server, it displays a clearly visible error message at the beginning of the boot sequence. If this message does not come up the phone successfully communicated with its boot server.
1. Create a user
- Login to the sipX UI as superadmin
- It is recommended that you add different User Groups as Web UI and Call Handling Permissions can be defined either for groups or individual users. Groups can consist of users with different phones.
- Click on Users from the main navigation, then click the Add User button to create a new user:
- Create a new user by entering the requested parameters. The extension number is populated based on the settings in User Extension Pool; however, it can be changed. Note that the PIN is only the password the user needs to login to the voicemail portal. The SIP password the phone will use for registration is automatically generated and assigned. It can be viewed / changed by clicking on Show Advanced Settings. (See here for more information).
- Edit permissions by going to Group Settings for the group the user belongs to. If the user should be able to record system prompts using the phone, enable it. Also, make sure you set correct permissions for dialing rules. Alternatively, permissions can be set for an individual user.
2. Create a Device for the new phone
- Click on Phones in the main navigation, then Add Phone. Enter each phone's MAC address (lower case letters only) as the serial number, choose the appropriate phone model, and place it into the desired group
- Click on your new phone entry, listed by its serial number, then go to Lines.
Note: The outbound proxy field is intentionally left empty. The line will register with the server specified as Registration Server for each line. This allows several lines to register with different proxy server.
3. Assign user(s) to the phone
- Click on Add Line. You can search for a specific user or just click Search with empty fields, which will list all users. Select a user and press Select. You have now attached that user to the device. Dependent on the phone model, several lines can be attached to a device.
4. Generate the profile
- Click the checkbox on the left side of the entry and select the Send Profiles button. This now creates the configuration profile for the phone with default parameters and stores it in the TFTP root directory of the sipX server. During the previous steps we have used default parameters for both the user we created as well as the device. These default parameters should allow the phone to properly register with sipX when it boots next time. Once registration is accomplished, user and device parameters can be changed to your specific requirements.
Note: You can verify that the profile was generated successfully by clicking on Job Status under Diagnostics in the main navigation menu. You will find an entry for the newly generated profile.
- You now need to restart your Polycom phone manually by unplugging the power cord (or press "+", "-", "Messages" and "Mute" all at the same time). As the phone comes back up it should now successfully register with the sipX proxy. This can be verified by clicking on Registrations under Diagnostics in the main navigation menu. An entry should be shown for the phone. Once the phone registered successfully with ConfigServer it can then be restarted from the Web UI remotely as you make further changes to its configuration.
5. Phone Internal Dial Plan Settings
- The phone internal dial plan decides when sufficient digits have been entered for the phone to start establishing the session. This phone internal dial plan string has to be inline with the dial plan defined for the sipX server and some of the choices offered. Please refer to the Digit Maps page for further details.
sipXecs iso downloads are here